Wednesday, September 17, 2008

10 and counting...

I met with my accounting professor this morning to see how I could complete the incomplete that I so graciously received last semester, and decided to stop into the career center to get a little advice. For those who don't know, the business school has its own career development center, and they require you take two workshops before you can register on "Foxnet" and start looking at internships. I took the two, but wanted to go ask the lady who gave the workshops if I should take the interview workshop before I started to apply for internships.

Little did I know this ONE inquiry would change my college career.

First let me tell you that the woman I met with is black and she has to be one of the most dramatic people I have ever witnessed, I like her tho- ALOT, because she's honest.

So after I ask her my question she asks me a series of questions like what my major is, what industry I would like to work in, what my GPA is, and what activities I was involved in. After viewing the weirdest expressions on face and feeling like a complete slacker with the answers to those questions, we began to make something out of nothing. I basically found out that if I want a good job in the Marketing field, I need a really high GPA or have to possess super extra curricular activity powers. I have neither.

Because I'm not really passionate about Marketing, (I honestly don't know anything aside from what I've learn in the one once a week class of Marketing that I have had, which still means virtually nothing) I'd do better off majoring in Accounting. She said she wasn't trying to make me change my major but, realistically it would get me more exposure to employers. And anyone who knows me knows that I have no problem changing my major in a heartbeat. I came in as STOC, then I switched to entrepreneurship, then Marketing, and nowAccounting. I am taking 18 credts this semester (2 of which I'm making up from last semester) and HAVE to get four A's.

So, if you forget what I look like, its not because Im pledging, its because these next 10 weeks will be the most critical weeks of my life. I have to get my GPA back up so that I can apply for the best summer internships, that will get me the best jobs. Its time to stop being so damn lazy and right what went wrong.

Wish me luck

2 comments:

Miss Mac said...

Good Lick homie ....ooops I mean luck....i read the post below n thought u'd appreciate that.

Miss Mac said...

son. imma need u to get back to the blog game. I kno ur grindin but c'mon a month? totally unacceptable